The mission of the Second Offering Sunday (SOS) Committee decides through prayer and consensus which non-profit groups we will support with donations of time, talent, or financial aid. We are an enthusiastic group seeking to make a difference at home and afar.
On the fourth Sunday of each month with the exception of December, our congregation contributes a second offering to support a local, national or international cause. Some of these groups are here in Summit County and others as far away as Namibia and Cambodia.
SOS is a very hands-on opportunity to fulfill God’s mission by sharing abundantly God’s blessings with each other and the church on earth. It makes a profound difference in our local, national and worldwide communities. It is our belief that volunteering enriches the life of the volunteer as well as the organization being served.
Activities of a Volunteer Committee Member or Champion
Perhaps you would enjoy being involved either as a Committee Member or as a Champion--a liaison between the Committee and a recipient organization working on cause that you truly believe in? Either role is extremely rewarding.
- The Outreach Committee meets quarterly to discuss the selection of recipients and how they complement our church’s mission and vision. It’s a very tangible way to participate in sharing our abundance and providing for social justice within our community and the world. We would welcome anyone’s attendance and/or participation in this vitally important committee.
- The committee works to insure there is a balance of local, national, and international causes to which we contribute. The committee ensures that the funds collected are wisely spent and that youth are included as volunteers in as many activities as possible.
- We participate in fundraisers such as the Have a Heart Bake Sale in February, and the Global Trade Fair in December.
Champions for a Worthy Cause
- Prior to the month an organization will receive the Second Offering, the champion connects with the recipient and together they write a brief description about the non-profit group and its accomplishments, with a link to their website.
- The champion also creates a display to remain on the Narthex bulletin board during the recipient’s month.
- During the month, the description is published in our weekly newsletter, the “Field Guide,” and in the Sunday bulletin.
- The champion makes a very short presentation to the congregation on the third or fourth Sunday to highlight the work of the non-profit and explain how our offering will affect the organization’s outcomes.
- After the Second Offering is collected, the champion reports in writing to the SOS Team with the amount of the Second Collection and how and when the money was presented to the non-profit.
Second Offering Sunday Recipients 2017-2018
- Blue River Horse Center
- Cambodian Water Wells
- Community Dinner
- Dillon Valley Elementary
- La Puente Home
- LOTM Day Services
- LOTM Emergency Fund
- Lutheran World Relief
- Namibia Scholarships
- Synod Benevolence
- Thanksgiving to Go
- Timberline Adult Day Services
How to nominate a charitable organization to receive a Second Offering.
The charitable organizations selected as recipients generally have some relationship to Lord of the Mountains, usually a member of the congregation who acts as its “champion” in order insure a strong connection and accountability.
- The champion connects with the organization and together they write a brief description about the non-profit group and its accomplishments, with a link to their website.
- A champion nominates a non-profit organization to the SOS committee. Nominations can be submitted at any time. The committee selects the non-profits during our quarterly meetings.
- The committee meets quarterly on a date convenient for the committee members and decides by prayer and consensus which non-profit groups (charities) we will support with donations of time, talent, or financial aid. A calendar is outlined for the following year, but is reviewed and updated each quarter to accommodate any new information we may receive.